Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Drinking water


I've recently discovered how difficult it is to drink a full 72 ounces of water each day. I've started doing a semi-detox and the 2 parts hydrogen and 1 part oxygen are obviously essential. It's not that I get tired of the lack of flavor or the simple molecular structure, but in the 5-7 minute increments between bathroom breaks, I ask myself, "Self, is this really worth it?"

Water to me is motion and purity. Within the last couple months, my family purchased a BRITA water filter. It supposedly removes all impurites from tap water by using a carbon filtering system. As a result, we're drinking water in its closest-to-pure form. Other than the famous "gotta go" Detrol slogan, water is associated with motion in that, in its purest form, it helps move unwanted waste and harmful chemicals out of our systems. If the water itself is not first purified and moved, it causes sickness and disease.

Drinking water (and a lot of it) stirs in me a desire to fill my life with the purest form of any consumption, whether literal or otherwise. I think about the 51st psalm:

Psalm 51:10-12
10 Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
11 Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me.
12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.

3 comments:

ellie said...

i just like not having cotton mouth.

Tristin Wilson said...

I love clean water. I bought my own brita for my room at school. It's a good thing too because I'm kind of scared of Evangelian water, I won't lie.

Anonymous said...

post. a. new. blog. anne.