Sunday, April 13, 2008

Free Water


This morning I was dreading walking 4 miles in the cold. For my school's honor society, our chapter assignment involves raising money and walking for multiple sclerosis. Last year, it was a beautiful spring day...I remember being in shorts and a t-shirt. Today, it was the perfect day to sleep in. When I finally got myself out of bed, I put on my jeans and sweatshirt and drove to the school. Still tired and wanting my footie pajamas, I complained for a good chunk of time about the weather. I grabbed an asiago cheese bagel from a Panera Bread stand (Later, I helped myself to cinnamon crunch). The thought of walking for an hour in the cold still made my stomach tumble (I know. How terrible!) As we began to walk, I realized how ridiculous my complaints were. Being involved in helping others is the most rewarding experience a person can have. Seeing hundreds of people come together for a common goal is so satisfying. The whole community was involved. The bank set up stands for water, juice, and fruit. Various doctor's offices and high schools also walked. Near the end of our walk, my friend Stef and I approached two little boys who appeared to be selling lemonade. When we got closer, one of the boys said "Free water" and referred to his hand-written sign. Even at their young age, these boys were motivated to serve. They wanted to help others who were helping others.

No comments: